Wednesday, October 10, 2007

CANADA VS AMERICA


The Big Guns Are Coming Out
When I visited Toronto for the apartment search a couple of months ago, one of the first things I did was visit Tim Horton's. Tim Horton's is the quintessential Canadian experience, as it is a donut shop started by a hockey player and has now been coopted by an American corporation. It didn't take me too many bites to realize that I didn't like Tim Horton's. I don't really like donuts, but these seemed especially grody. Yet, every Tim Horton's I see has a line out the door each morning. This got me to thinking about all the subtle differences between the U.S. and Canada. For example, who knew they said "zed" instead of "zee"? And why would anyone care? This blog is my ongoing report of all things Canadian (and Torontoan). All names have been changed to protect the innocent, because I don't want this to be used against me in my pursuit of what is known in Canada as employment.

Update - Please view Michael's comment for more recent information about Tim Horton's ownership.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

but be afraid! they're in the process of invading the states. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/08/business/worldbusiness/08doughnuts.html

Unknown said...

Hey John,

In the more recent posts, I kept reading the rating system of Horton's -- and wondered what the heck was going on.

Then my coworker Phyllis (a real-live Canadian) explained the long-important place of Tim Horton in Canadian culture.

Love, Mimi

P.S. -- I'm heading to the south border in a few hours. Adios hermano, hasta la vista.

OurBlogTemplates.com 2008

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008