Wednesday, December 12, 2007

US vs. THEM - Not So Crazy Canadian KitKat

Oh the KitKat bar which, along with Willie Gault's funky dance moves and the Snorks, was one of the great joys of my young childhood. So, when I heard KitKat is slightly different in Canada, I was dismayed. Who exactly do these Canadians think they are, changing up a magical formula?

But it turns out the Americans are the ones that make a bastardized version. KitKat in Canada is made by Nestle who sell the bar everywhere but the United States. Americans get the Hershey's version due to a deal the company made with the bar's original inventor in England, but the "original" version is now in the hands of Nestle. The bars have different ingredients, and they really do look and taste different. The Canadian bar is much darker and has a richer, less waxy flavour. The U.S. version is slightly crispier, but this is not enough to overcome the chalky Hershey's milk chocolate flavour that I've now come to despise in adulthood.

U.S. KitKat gets 3.1 Hortons, mainly for nostalgic reasons. The Canadian version is the clear winner with 4.3 Hortons. It's better in every way but the crisp.

As a side note, you learn a lot of wonderful things when you have a blog. For example, there's one blog devoted exclusively to candy - look at these KitKats it reviews. Amazing.

Bonus Review "Kit Kat Peanut Butter" - The Wife recently got a KitKat Peanut Butter bar, which only comes in the single bar Chunky version rather than the standard 4 finger. Here's her review via my interpretation. I'm pretty sure this is almost exactly what she said: The actual bar is too big, and the chocolate is too waxy. However, the peanut butter part is excellent for a candy bar. In addition, I think Johnada is the king of awesome. I do not think I would buy this again, but that's partially because I'm a total snob when it comes to candy. I give the KitKat Peanut Butter 2.5 Timbits, the Husband gets 10. (Editors Note: the Timbit scales goes to ten.)

2 comments:

SMB said...

I gotta say, I can TOTALLY hear the wife saying all that stuff about the Kit Kat Peanut Butter. Also, I think the Hubby would love to try it. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.....

Aiglee said...

I forgot to buy the Canadian KitKat yesterday!! After I read your post, I told my husband that we needed to try canadians KitKat since we already know the taste of the US ones, and I told him about your blog, but I forgot to buy one :(

And looking out of my window, I'm sure we won't go out today ^-^

OurBlogTemplates.com 2008

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008