Thursday, December 06, 2007

US vs. THEM : Am I Smarter Than a Fifth Grader

Sometimes things in Canada are just a little different. This column is where I judge whether different means better than the USA.

I recently had the pleasure of watching two games shows simultaneously: Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader and Are You Smarter Than a Canadian Fifth Grader? For some incredibly awesome reason, they were both on at the same time a couple of weeks ago. Here's my review.

Hosts: Jeff Foxworthy vs. That Guy Who's Been on a Bunch of Comedy Shows
Jeff Foxworthy's bio says that he is so much more than the "redneck" comedian, then goes on to list all the wonderful things he's done which almost all involve his redneck jokes. The Other Guy was on the Drew Carrey Show.

Kids: They seem the same in both countries. Really kind of annoying know-it-alls. Probably just like I was in fifth grade, but I can't take too much of their smarminess.

Questions: Whoa, I sure don't know a lot about Canada, though I guessed more accurately than the contestant. The U.S. stuff is right up my alley. I guess I could totally be a smarmy kid still. However, I have to wonder which 3rd grade geography class is learning about the term "archipelago".

Final Verdict: The Canadian version wins because Jeff Foxworthy is too distracting. I keep waiting for him to ask the contestant if her brother-in-law is her uncle.

For full disclosure, I should mention I only watched about five minutes of each show. However, I think I got the gist. (Do they say gist in Canada?)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think we say "gist", however being French, don't take my word for it :$

Just found your blog...having fun reading!

I never actually watched both shows (I'm really bad with TV)...

OurBlogTemplates.com 2008

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008