Monday, January 21, 2008

CANADIANS DON'T OWN THE DONUT

One surprising thing about the move to Canada is the propriety Canadians believe they have over the donut. Having grown up in the U.S. with Dunkin Donuts, I know that Tim Horton's doesn't even have the patent on super crazy donut chains (ignoring the insane boom and bust of Krispy Kreme a couple of years ago). The U.S. is donut crazy too. When I was a kid, I used to count the donut shops we passed on the way to the airport on Cicero Ave. in Chicago. I usually lost count around 40.

Apparently Canadians don't know this. Someone had to write a book explaining to them that they didn't invent the donut, and that other people like and eat them. This is very odd to me.

So Canada, with all apologies, I've got to tell you that donuts are also quite popular in the U.S. I know it hurts, but you'll get over it soon. At least you've got the patent on loving beer . . . oh wait.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure the French invented it. You know, back when we ruled the world. We call it "le donut" over there. Unlike fries, that we call "les frites... belges". Ask your nearest quebecer for the translation! :D

OurBlogTemplates.com 2008

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008