Tuesday, June 03, 2008

CANADIAN HEROES - Strombo's Black Shirts

When I first moved to Canada last September, I was amazed by the ubiquitousness of this guy named George Stroumboulopoulos (real spelling) and his show called the Hour during which he interviews celebrities and politicians with a removed, laconic style. He's always being "real" with the people he interviews, he always acts like he's hardcore, and, most importantly, he always wears black. Always!

In so many ways, Strombo is the ultimate tool. He will act as cool as his current guest. He plays like he's all metal, but he often kisses the ass of bands that suck. And his comedy bits are weak, to say the least. But Canadians prefer his toolishnes to the swarminess of Jay Leno, and I guess I'm okay with that.

It's ultimately George's wardrobe that makes the show. Night after night there is a new black shirt that says "I just don't give a shit (even though I really do, since this shirt cost $400)." It's that dichotomy that is the brilliance of Mr. George Stroumboulopoulos and for that reason, Strombo's black shirts are our newest Canadian Heroes.

I was going to add some content about what a jerk George is, but apparently he's not. If you Google Strombo on the net, almost every personal encounter with him is glowing. Plus Bono's a fan, and he likes the Pope, so who is Johnada to argue. (Though I prefer Rick Mercer any day.)

This would have been so much better if Alex still had his moustache:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I like Jay Leno best on this one but Georges S. is definitely cool. Black as a statement in a world of entertainment... that's so Canadian!

Gary said...

If it's any consolation (and it is almost certainly not for you because I still think "Wham!" is misunderstood), I don't find that guy very engaging either.

G

P.S. Glad to see you're feeling better

beaverboosh said...

Kisses the asses of bands that suck eh, death in these parts!

Mother Theresa said...

I can't compare since I've never heard of this guy. So now every guy has to have that "little black shirt" just like women have a "little black dress"?

OurBlogTemplates.com 2008

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008