Sunday, March 09, 2008

MYTH OR FACT - The Canadian Redneck

There are a lot of popular myths about Canada in America (and amongst Canadians themselves). As a new resident of Canada, I thought I might write about them from my impartial perspective. Contrary to what some people who read this blog think, Johnada loves Canada. It's in the name (sort of).

Canadians are liberal and more forward thinking than Americans -
This may be true in some respects, but one thing that has shocked me about Canada, even in Toronto, is the number of rednecks. Sure they're rednecks that can marry other rednecks of the same sex, but they still love NASCAR and hate dentistry. I have now seen the clues. Canadian Tire was clue number one. And the hockey haircut were clue number two. Though we live in one of Canada's most cosmopolitan cities, our neighbourhood is full of them - usually at the local watering holes Jimmy's or Ruby Tuesday's.

Growing up in the tiny town in Illinois, I learned how to spot a redneck from an early age. In junior high, it was by the growth of dirty hair on their upper lip. In high school, it was by their instinctual desire to try to start a fight with me. In Canada, they seem to be a little more subtle. In fact, they are downright friendly. They smile, say hi and ask me what I'm up to. It's very disorienting. They actually seem to like me. So it's with total impartiality that I declare Canadian Rednecks a FACT, and proclaim they are far superior to their American brethren.

4 comments:

beaverboosh said...

FACT!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

And have you ever seen a Quebecer redneck? Quite scary too...

Johnada said...

Zhu - I actually have seen QC rednecks and they are scary. I mean one of them invented poutine . . .

OurBlogTemplates.com 2008

Blogger Templates by OurBlogTemplates.com 2008